Boogie Boo arrives as Tristan Rocco

Tristan Rocco Huaffe
Tristan Roccoh Huaffe minutes after birth, wrapped in his now favorite blanket

 

On the night of June 19 2020 at around 8:40PM, a beautiful healthy 2.5kg baby was born in Port Moresby General Hospital's labor ward. Despite both of our parents advises to have the baby outside Port Moresby, my partner Stella and I decided to experience this on our own.

On Friday the 18th of June 2020, Stella was experiencing labor pains, but there was no 'water breaking'. The entire cold night, I watched helplessly as she walked around our house whenever she is in pain.

She said to me, "If you see me walking faster, you know that I am in pain". This went on until Saturday morning when we decided, it's time to head to the hospital. 

The 'baby bag' was already packed with tiny clothes, blankets, nappies, wipes, diapers, socks, caps and mittens - all ready for the arrival of Boogie Boo (see part one if you haven't yet)!

We knew it was a boy after we took a scan to determine the baby's gender in the last antenatal check up. We decided to name Boogie Boo - Tristan Rocco.

Rocco was going to be the middle name regardless. If Desmond Rocco was alive, surely he would be the godfather to this child - rest well my brother - your name lives on in the family.

Referral

We arrived at the labor ward, stood in line only to be turned away around 12PM to get a referral from Gerehu General Hospital (Where we go for antenatal checks) - an unusual request.

As we got back to Gerehu, she quickly stepped out of the car with my mum into Gerehu General Hospital to check while I rushed to the petrol station to refill and and get some air into the car's tire. The doctor quickly called the labor ward 'firing' them as this is a labor case and does not require a referral.

We had back to the labor ward and this time, she was admitted. Although she was never given a bed, we left for the market, then home to cook her some food to bring in the afternoon.

At around 5:40PM, I left the house with food to visit her at the hospital. She still has no bed and said that they only provide beds to those who are actually going into delivery.

I sat with her for about 15 minutes but she had to constantly move around, hugging the platform we were sitting on and kept walking around in pain. She told me to leave as she retreats back into the main labor ward.

The actual labour ward outpatient where we sat

There was nothing else I could do at the point but to wish her and my baby well. I went home contemplating whether to get some sleep or worry until morning.

I went into my empty room, pulled out my phone and sent my heart in a text message to her hoping all the strength I have could be passed on to her to deliver our baby.

Relief

At 8:50PM I received a call from her sister all the way from her home town Alotau, with just one sentence, "Congratulations! It's a boy". My phone was on loud speaker so I could hear people (my mum) outside celebrating.

My heart jumped as I wanted to call back and talk to Stella to see how she was doing but I knew, its too early for that. She later sent me a message and I called her back. She assures me that all went well and our baby was fine.

I couldn't wait for the next day as I rushed out in the morning into the car. My mum reminded me that I might not be able to bring them home yet given this is our first baby and they might spend a couple more nights in observation. I didn't care, I just wanted to see them.

We left for the hospital, got some food on the way. As we arrived, I let my mum go in first to visit. She came back with smiles temple to temple saying he has really long fingers and toes just like the father.

I was super excited. After I dropped my mum home, I came back to visit them. I went in, but to the wrong place! I almost walked into mothers giving birth. Some mothers scolded me so I ran out feeling silly. Stella was angry, because I've missed the morning window and now I have to wait until 12PM - visitation hour - to see my baby for the first time.

At 12PM, I rushed to the main entrance and this time, to the right place. Tristan Rocco was wrapped neatly in his brand new fluffy blanket with his tiny blue-spotted white hat on. As I talked to his mother, he started moving. 

Words cannot express the joy you feel when you can see and feel your own flesh and blood before your eyes for the first time. Tristan was fine, but his mum is still in pain after the delivery. The attending physician advised me that she should be carefully taken care of in the coming weeks. The doctor gave the all clear and they were discharged.

Not so fast!

Before leaving, Tristan Rocco had to get a shot (immunization) and the mother had to choose a family planning method. She asked me to carry him. I carefully lifted his head and placed him in my arms close to my chest.

He was so light I was too scared to move my hand! I held him in the same position the entire time we were waiting in line. 30-40 minutes passed and it was his turn to get his shot. I took him in and the nurse quickly pricked his left arm for his first immunization. He cried for about 10 seconds and stopped. I keep telling him "Yu sepik ya, strongpla man" (You're a Sepik, you are strong). After his injection, he went right back to sleep so we went outside and sat with all the mothers whilst his mother is checked. When it was all done, we head out to the car park. Tristan is finally going home!

People at home were surprised as I was preoccupied and over excited, I forgot to call home to tell them that we are coming home with our MVP on board. As we got home, mum, dad and siblings rushed here and there trying to prepare his decorations a little too late but all in all, was an epic day!

Tristan is now a month and a half old, growing heavier by the day. He enjoys sleeping outside in his hammock, take long baths, have endless meals, wake mum and dad up at 11PM, 3AM and 6AM and of course sleep all day while they are at work.

Thanks

Stella and I would like to take this opportunity to thank all those who have supported us through this experience. We greatly appreciate your advice, love and care and will continue to be better parents to Tristan Rocco.

Special mentions to Aunty Carrie, Uncle Michael, Vero and Nicole for the timely, lovely gifts that were all put to use instantly!



Comments

Post a Comment

Popular

PNG Birth & National Identity Registration Form - Electronic Fillable

MY JOURNEY INTO ADULTHOOD - Part 1

YouTube as a YoutTuber part II